Who is eligible to hire an FDW?

Employer requirements for hiring an FDW

As an employer, you need to meet the eligibility criteria before hiring a foreign domestic worker (FDW).

Who is eligible

To hire an FDW, you must:

  • Be 21 years old and above.
  • Not be an undischarged bankrupt.
  • Have the mental capacity to fully understand and discharge your responsibility as an employer.

We will also consider your financial ability to hire, maintain and upkeep the FDW in an acceptable accommodation.

If you are a first time FDW employer, you must attend an Employer Orientation Programme (EOP) before you apply for an FDW.

Refer to this pre-hiring checklist before deciding whether to hire an FDW, also available in MalayMandarin and Tamil.

You should not be diagnosed with any medical condition that would impair your ability to exercise supervision and control over the well-being of the FDW. Examples of such medical conditions include Alzheimer, dementia and schizophrenia which can cause symptoms such as severe memory lapses, confusion, emotional instability, progressive loss of mental ability, paranoia, etc.

Hiring a second FDW

We will consider applications for a second FDW if you have caregiving needs (young children or the elderly).

You will be assessed on your financial ability to hire, maintain and upkeep more than one FDW in acceptable accommodation.

Use the pass map to get an idea of the steps you need to take when hiring an FDW.

To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/eligibility-and-requirements/employer-requirements

What is the minimum income needed to employ an FDW?

While the household income or monthly salary is a qualifying criteria, we are unable to reveal the exact amount.

This salary requirement is set based on the realistic overall cost of hiring a foreign domestic worker (FDW), including worker's salary, levy, insurance, food and other expenses.

The household income will be assessed based on the type of application:

  • For married couples, you can combine income with your spouse.
  • Under the Joint Income Scheme, you can combine your income with one of your immediate family members (other than your spouse) living at the same address.
  • If you are aged 60 years old or above, not earning an income and not staying with any working adults, you can apply under the Sponsorship Scheme.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/what-is-the-minimum-income-needed-to-employ-an-fdw

Can I employ an FDW if I don't have any income?

If you are aged 60 years old or above, not earning an income and not staying with any working adults, you can apply under the Sponsorship Scheme.

Aside from employing an FDW, you could consider engaging a domestic cleaning service for household chores, and tapping on your extended family, or childcare and eldercare facilities for help with care-giving needs.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/can-i-employ-an-fdw-if-i-dont-have-any-income

For employers who frequently changes FDW, what are the requirements to meet before employing another worker?

Frequent changes of FDWs

If you have changed foreign domestic workers (FDWs) multiple times within a year, you have to meet certain requirements before you can employ another worker.

You are a Frequent Change Employer if you have changed foreign domestic workers (FDWs) multiple times within a 12 month period. You have to meet certain requirements before you can employ another worker.

If you have changed more than 3 FDWs within a 12 month period, and you want to apply for another one, you will have to attend a classroom Employers’ Orientation Programme (EOP) or attend an interview with MOM before we process your application. You cannot appoint a representative to attend on your behalf.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/eligibility-and-requirements/frequent-changes-of-fdws

What is foreign worker levy and what are rates?

What is the foreign worker levy

The foreign worker levy, commonly known as “levy”, is a pricing mechanism to regulate the number of foreign workers in Singapore.

As an employer, you don’t have to pay Central Provident Fund (CPF) contributions for your helper. However, you must pay a monthly levy for her.

If your helper is a first-time FDW, the levy will begin on the 5th day of her arrival (including the arrival date). Otherwise, the levy will begin the next day after she arrives.

The levy ends when the Work Permit is cancelled or expires.

Levy rate

The levy rate for FDWs is as follows:

Type of levy Monthly rate Daily rate
Normal (1st FDW) $300 $9.87
Normal (Subsequent FDWs) $450 $14.80
Concessionary $60 $1.98

For more information, refer to the FAQs on changes to the FDW levy framework.


  • Daily levy rate only applies to FDWs who did not complete a full calendar month. The daily levy rate is calculated as follows: (Monthly levy rate x 12) / 365 = rounding up to the nearest cent.
  • The concessionary rate applies to families with a young child, elderly member or person with disability. Find out if you qualify for levy concession.
  • When you are no longer eligible for levy concession or your number of helpers changes, the levy rate may be adjusted. The new rate takes effect immediately.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/foreign-domestic-worker-levy/paying-levy

When and how to pay the levy?

When and how to pay the levy

You must pay the levy via General Interbank Recurring Order (GIRO).

If you don't have a GIRO account, apply for one using the GIRO application form. We will notify you of the outcome by post.

You can check your application status and start date of your GIRO deduction one month after your GIRO application.

After GIRO is approved
  • The levy for each month will be deducted from your bank account on the 17th of the following month (or the next working day if it falls on a weekend or public holiday).
  • You should maintain enough funds in your account before the deduction date. If the GIRO deduction is unsuccessful, your bank may charge you a failed transaction fee.
The levy for January 2017 will be deducted on 17 February 2017.
If you need to pay levy using other methods

You must pay the levy for each month by the 14th of the following month.

Note: It takes longer for us to process your payment when you pay using other methods.

You should not use other payment methods if you already have a GIRO arrangement, as the scheduled GIRO deduction will still go ahead.

View levy bills online

You can view your latest levy bill on the 6th of every month using Check and pay levy. You can log in using your SingPass.

Penalties for not paying levy

If you don’t pay the full levy on time, you may face the following penalties:

  • You'll be charged a late payment penalty of 2% per month or $20, whichever is higher. Your total late payment penalty will be capped at 30% of the outstanding levy.
  • Your helper's Work Permit will be revoked.
  • You won't be allowed to apply for or issue a new Work Permit, or renew an existing Work Permit.
  • You may face legal action to recover the unpaid levy.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/foreign-domestic-worker-levy/paying-levy

How do I apply for GIRO bank account for my levy payment?

You can submit the GIRO application to us.

If you are Use this GIRO form
Business employer hiring foreign workers Application form for interbank GIRO
Hiring foreign domestic worker Application form for interbank GIRO

Your GIRO application will be sent to your bank and will be processed within one month.

You can check your application status at www.mom.gov.sg/levy-giro-status, you’ll be redirected to CPF Board’s website.

While waiting for your GIRO application to be approved, you should pay your levy by 14th of each month. You can pay using Check and pay foreign worker levy or other payment methods.

How do I pay my foreign worker’s levy if my GIRO application has not been approved?

You should pay by the 14th of each month using the following payment methods.

Other payment methods

Pay using Check and pay levy or PayNow for a faster processing. Payment will be updated in 3 working days, instead of 5 working days for the other payment methods.
Pay by Using How to pay
Check and pay levy Internet banking Log in to Check and pay levy and pay.
PayNow Direct fund transfer
  1. Scan the PayNow QR code on the latest levy bill using your banking payment app. 
  2. Make sure you see “Foreign Worker Levy” as the registered payee before confirming the fund transfer.
  3. You will receive a notification from your bank confirming the successful transfer.
SingPost Cash, cash card or NETS

Bring along your levy bill and pay at any SingPost branch.

Post Cheque
  1. Write a crossed cheque made payable to “CPF Board”.
  2. For FDW employers: Write the employer's name, NRIC number/FIN and contact number on the back of the cheque.

    For business employers: Write your company's name, CPF submission number and contact number on the back of the cheque.

  3. Use the return envelope provided and post the cheque and payment slip for your latest bill to:

    Foreign Worker Levy
    Robinson Road P.O. Box 2052
    Singapore 904052

If you don't have your bill, you can print it.

AXS station NETS

Pay to CPF Board.

View AXS machine demo for:


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-pass-general/how-do-i-pay-my-foreign-workers-levy-if-my-giro-application-has-not-been-approved

Is the FDW required to go for medical examination before deployment?

The FDW need to pass a medical examination by a Singapore-registered doctor within 2 weeks of her arrival in Singapore.

Her Work Permit will only be issued if she passes the medical examination.

Otherwise, she will have to be sent home.

The medical examination screens the helper for 4 types of infectious disease (tuberculosis, HIV, syphilis and malaria) and checks if she is fit to work.

During your FDW’s employment, you must send her for a medical screening every six months.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/eligibility-and-requirements/medical-examination

What is the six-monthly medical examination (6ME) for foreign domestic worker (FDW)?

Six-monthly medical examination (6ME) for foreign domestic worker (FDW)

During your FDW's employment, you must send her for a medical screening every 6 months. This medical examination screens for pregnancy and infectious diseases such as syphilis, HIV and tuberculosis.

Clinics will likely resume 6MEs in Phase 2 (Safe Transition period). Helpers will be given more time to complete their 6MEs.

Please ignore any 6ME notification letter sent from January 2020 to April 2020. We will inform employers of the new 6ME due dates by email and post.


The 6ME test results must be certified by a Singapore-registered doctor. You must pay for the 6ME and any medical expenses arising from it.

Tests done during 6ME

Our 6ME letters will state the tests your helper needs to do:

Tests for Frequency
Pregnancy Every 6 months
Syphilis Every 6 months
HIV Every 2 years
Tuberculosis Once, upon 2 years of stay in Singapore

Get the 6ME done at home

Your helper can use the home-based 6ME service if she is only due for pregnancy, syphilis and HIV tests.

When to send your FDW for 6ME

You will receive a notification letter and 6ME form by post when your helper's 6ME is due. You must send her for the 6ME before the due date.

You can also log in to the FDW eService to check the previous 6ME’s date. You can then know when the next one is due, and also reprint the 6ME form.

If your FDW is 50 years old or above

If your helper is 50 years old or above, she doesn’t need to go for 6ME.

She only needs to go for medical examination upon renewal of her Work Permit.

If your FDW is on overseas leave

If the 6ME is due when your helper is away on overseas leave, you can request to postpone it until she returns.

Prepare the following information:

  • Helper’s full name, Work Permit number and date of birth.
  • Helper’s return flight details.
  • Your details:
    • NRIC or FIN number
    • Residential address
    • Contact number

Send us the information and request to postpone using iSubmit. Under Request Type, choose option 5.

If your FDW’s employment is ending soon

You can choose not to send your helper for the 6ME if you are sending her home within 1 month after the 6ME is due.

When to apply for waiver

If you intend to keep her more than 1 month after her 6ME is due, you need to apply for a waiver.

Prepare the following information:

  • Helper’s full name, Work Permit number and date of birth.
  • A copy of the helper’s confirmed travel ticket.
  • Your details:
    • NRIC or FIN number
    • Residential address
    • Contact number

Send us the information and request for waiver using iSubmit. Under Request Type, choose option 5.

If your FDW fails the 6ME

If your FDW did not pass her 6ME, you must cancel her work permit and send her home immediately.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/ive-applied-for-a-replacement-fdw-can-my-current-fdw-remain-under-my-employment-for-a-short-period-after-my-new-fdw-arrives

What is the home-based six-monthly medical examination (6ME) service?

Home-based six-monthly medical examination (6ME) service

You can get your helper’s 6ME done at home if you meet the conditions.


Your helper can use the home-based 6ME service if she is only due for pregnancy, syphilis and HIV tests.

If your helper is due for a TB test, you'll still need to send her to a clinic for her 6ME.


The home-based 6ME service allows your helper to get the 6ME done at home. This is especially helpful if your family situation makes it difficult for your helper to leave your home, e.g. if you have care-giving needs.

The service will also provide you added convenience:

  • You will receive the test results when they are ready, and don't need to collect them from the clinic.
  • You don’t need to send the results to MOM, the results will be automatically sent by the service provider.

How to get the 6ME done at home

If you meet the conditions and wish to use the home-based 6ME service:

  1. Make an appointment with MOM’s approved service provider:
  2. On the appointment date, ensure that your helper is at home.
  3. The service provider’s healthcare personnel will go to your house to collect her blood sample and 6ME form.

    The service provider’s personnel is required to produce the staff pass for identification showing the:

    • Company name and logo
    • Staff’s name and photo
  4. The service provider will send her blood sample to a licensed laboratory for testing. A Singapore-registered doctor will certify her 6ME test results.
  5. After 10 working days, you will receive the completed 6ME form. If your helper was found to be pregnant or had contracted syphilis, the service provider will also inform MOM for you. You don't need to inform us.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/eligibility-and-requirements/home-based-6me

What are the insurance requirements for FDW?

EA/ Employer will need to buy medical and personal accident insurance for the helper.

Before the helper arrives in Singapore, EA/ Employer must buy medical insurance and personal accident insurance as part of the medical obligations to her.

Medical insurance with coverage of at least $15,000 per year for inpatient care and day surgery during the helper’s stay in Singapore.

Personal accident insurance with a minimum coverage of $60,000 for the helper.

This is to protect the helper and her family by providing a lump sum compensation if she suffers from permanent disability or passes away due to an accident.

The compensation must be made payable to the helper or her beneficiaries.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/eligibility-and-requirements/insurance-requirements#:~:text=You%20need%20to%20buy%20medical%20insurance%20with%20a%20coverage%20of,your%20helper's%20stay%20in%20Singapore.

Who is eligible for levy concession?

As an FDW employer, you can get a concessionary rate if you live with any eligible person who is a Singapore citizen and is a young child below 16 years old, elderly person who is at least 67 years old, or person with disabilities (PWD).

The levy concession for 1 FDW is granted based on 1 eligible person in the household.

It is capped at 2 FDWs per household. When you are no longer eligible for levy concession or your number of helpers changes, the levy rate may be adjusted. The new rate takes effect immediately.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/foreign-domestic-worker-levy/levy-concession

What is a security bond?

What is a security bond

A security bond is a binding pledge to pay the government if either you or your helper breaks the law or Work Permit conditions. The bond is in the form of a banker’s or insurer’s guarantee.

You must buy a $5,000 security bond for each helper you employ, unless she is a Malaysian. You cannot ask your helper to pay for the bond.

You can buy the bond at any bank or insurance company.

When to buy the bond

Before your helper arrives in Singapore, you must:

  1. Buy a security bond, medical and personal accident insurance for her. You can buy them as a package or separately.
  2. Get your insurer to send us the security bond details. It takes up to 3 working days.
  3. Ensure that the security bond takes effect when she arrives. You can check the security bond status.
  4. Log in to WP Online to print the security bond acknowledgement letter. Send a copy of the letter to your helper.

If you do not complete the steps above, your helper will be refused entry into Singapore and you will have to pay to send her home immediately.

When the bond will be discharged

You will be discharged from the security bond liability only if you meet all of these conditions:

  • You have cancelled the Work Permit.
  • The helper has returned home.
  • You did not breach any of the conditions of the security bond.

If all conditions are met, the security bond will usually be discharged one week after your helper left Singapore.

You’ll be notified by post when the security bond is discharged.

When the bond will be forfeited

Your security bond may be forfeited if any of these happens:

  • You or your helper violates any of the conditions of the Work Permit or security bond.
  • You don’t pay your helper's salary on time.
  • You fail to send your helper home when her Work Permit is expired, revoked or cancelled.
  • Your helper goes missing.

You will not be liable for your helper’s violations (such as those relating to pregnancy) if you can prove that you have:

  • Informed her of the Work Permit conditions she must comply with.
  • Reported a violation when you first become aware of it.

What are the Work Permit conditions to fulfill as an employer?

As an employer of foreign workers, you must comply with a set of Work Permit conditions during their employment.

A Work Permit (WP) is generally issued to foreign unskilled and semi-skilled workers.

The duration of a Work Permit is generally 2 years, subject to the validity of the worker’s passport, the security bond and the worker’s employment period, whichever is shorter.

The worker is only allowed to work for the employer and in the specified occupation.

Work Permit conditions

Employers and Work Permit holders must comply with the Conditions of Work Permits.

As an employer of foreign workers, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Only employ foreign workers who have a valid work pass.
  • Pay your workers the fixed monthly salary you declare to us.
  • Pay workers their salaries and the cost of their upkeep and maintenance, including the cost of medical treatment.
  • Ensure foreign workers have proper housing.
  • Buy and maintain medical insurance for each worker to cover in-patient care and surgery costs.
  • Send your workers for a medical examination by a Singapore-registered doctor. If they are certified medically unfit, their Work Permit will be revoked.
  • Pay the monthly foreign worker levy for each worker.
  • Buy a security bond for each non-Malaysian worker.
  • Not demand or receive any sum or other benefit from an employment agency or any other person in connection with the employment or change in employment of a foreign worker.

Foreign workers must comply with the following:

  • Work only in the occupation and for the employer specified in the Work Permit card.
  • Not take part in any other business or start their own business.
  • Reside only at the address set by the employer at the start of employment. They must inform you if they are to change their address.
  • Carry their original Work Permit at all times and produce it for inspection on demand by any public officer.
  • Not marry a Singapore citizen or permanent resident in or outside Singapore without approval from MOM. This applies even after their Work Permit is expired, cancelled or revoked.
  • Not get pregnant or deliver a child in Singapore during the validity of their Work Permit unless they are already married to a Singapore citizen or permanent resident with the approval of MOM. This applies even after their Work Permit is expired, cancelled or revoked.

When employment ends

If the employment is completed or terminated, or if the worker resigns, you must:

  • Cancel the work permit within 7 days of termination of employment.
  • Bear the cost of repatriation, including buying an air ticket with check-in luggage allowance.
  • Clear all outstanding salaries or payments.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-worker/sector-specific-rules/work-permit-conditions 

What are the COVID-19 precautionary measures applicable to both FDWs entering Singapore from overseas and FDWs with valid work permit whom went back to their own country?

Advisory to foreign domestic workers (FDWs), employers and employment agencies on COVID-19 precautionary measures


Updated as of 1 June 2020

As announced by the Multi-Ministry Taskforce on 19 May 2020 to resume activities in phases, there are changes to our work pass services from 2 June 2020.

Employers and employment agencies should educate FDWs on the COVID-19 situation and the following precautionary measures:

Actions to be taken by employers or employment agencies to bring FDWs into Singapore

  1. To reduce the risk of importing the COVID-19 virus, we are restricting the entry of foreigners into Singapore.

    All employers and employment agencies are strongly urged to defer bringing FDWs into Singapore. To facilitate this, we will automatically extend the validities of all in-principle approvals (IPAs) that are expiring during the Circuit Breaker period by 2 months. Thus, there is no need to request for an extension. You can check the new IPA expiry dates using our FDW eService.

    As Work Permit approvals are very limited, employers are advised to renew Work Permits of existing FDWs, instead of hiring new FDWs.

    Do also note that upon arrival in Singapore, FDWs from overseas must serve a 14-day Stay-Home Notice (SHN). Thus, there could be significant delays before they can work.

  2. If you still wish to bring an FDW from overseas into Singapore, you may proceed with the following. However, please note that chances of getting an entry approval are very slim:
    1. Ensure you can fulfil the additional responsibilities to bring the FDW in.
    2. Request for MOM’s entry approval before the FDW can enter Singapore using the relevant links for:

      The party who submits the entry approval request is responsible for the following:

      • Ensuring the FDW has a Singapore mobile number. Her phone must also have internet connection and WhatsApp installed. You will need her Singapore mobile number to submit the entry approval request.
      • Fulfilling the additional responsibilities to bring the FDW in.

      Applications open daily from 12:01pm and close at 12pm the next day.

      Requests received during this period are for arrivals within 14 days after the application closes (e.g. for arrivals in Singapore from 17 March 2020 to 30 March 2020, you can submit the request from 15 March 2020, 12:01pm to 16 March 2020, 12pm).

      Use our entry approval calculator to plan when to submit your request.

      Applications submitted:

      • By 12pm: Will receive the outcome on the same day.
      • After 12pm: Will receive the outcome the next day.
    3. Wait for MOM’s approval before arranging for the FDW to enter Singapore.

    For new FDWs, you need to wait for them to complete their 14-day SHN before you can get their Work Permits issued. To facilitate this, we will automatically extend the validities of their Short-Term Visit Passes and IPAs by 2 weeks.

    Additional responsibilities for party who submits the entry approval request (employer or employment agency)

    Expansion of enhanced Stay-Home Notice (SHN) requirements to all countries

  3. All FDWs entering Singapore from 9 April 2020, 23:59 hours, must serve a 14-day self-isolation at dedicated SHN facilities. They cannot serve the SHN at another place.

    Once they arrive, they will be informed of the location and sent directly to the facility. The cost for the facility will be absorbed by the Government.

    However, returnees who disregarded prevailing travel advisories and left Singapore from 27 March 2020, must bear the full cost of their 14-day SHN at dedicated SHN facilities.

    For more details, please refer to MOH’s press release or contact the SHN helpline at 6812 5555.

    Please take note of your additional responsibilities before submitting the entry approval request.

    Before the FDW leaves for Singapore, you must:

    After the FDW enters Singapore, you must:

    • Ensure she complies with the mandatory 14-day SHN upon arrival in Singapore.
    • Ensure the mobile phone prepared is given to her. If her number has changed, please update it immediately.
    • Ensure she acts on our SMS, which will be sent within 2 to 3 days of her arrival, asking her to download the Homer mobile app. She must also have a thermometer to take and report her temperature 3 times a day using the Homer app. 
    • Reschedule non-emergency medical needs (e.g. follow-up visits for chronic conditions or refilling of prescription) so that she does not need to leave the facility during the SHN.

    Employers who are unable to fulfil the obligations above may get employment agencies to help with the entry approval and SHN arrangements. In this case, the employment agency needs to fulfil the obligations above.

    If no party is willing and able to fulfil the obligations, the FDW should not enter Singapore.

    What FDWs must do during their 14-day SHN

  4. FDWs must:
    • Not leave the dedicated facility throughout the 14-day SHN.
    • Carry their mobile phones with internet connection at all times. They must respond to MOM’s phone calls, WhatsApp video calls or SMSes within 1 hour.
    • Report their locations and temperatures 3 times a day to MOM using the Homer mobile app. 
    • Not have any visitors, and must minimise contact with others.
    • Maintain a record of persons they come into close contact with.
    • Act responsibly based on any advisories issued by the Singapore Government.

    Penalties for non-compliance

  5. Employers, employment agencies and FDWs have a collective duty to ensure that the entry approval and SHN requirements are complied with.

    Enforcement action, including revocation of work passes and suspension of work pass privileges, will be taken if the requirements are not complied with. Demerit points will also be imposed on employment agencies whose actions result in violation of the requirements by FDWs.

    General precautions for employers and FDWs

  6. MOM, Centre for Domestic Employees (CDE) and Foreign Domestic Worker Association for Social Support and Training (FAST) would like to share the following measures that employers and FDWs can adopt to protect themselves and their households.

    Employers and FDWs are encouraged to practise good personal hygiene. FDWs can also help ensure that those under their care, including young children, practise good hygiene.

    • Wash hands frequently with soap, especially before handling food or eating, or after going to the toilet;
    • Cover one’s mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, and dispose of soiled tissue in the bin immediately;
    • Avoid sharing food/drinks, utensils, toothbrushes or towels with others; and
    • If one is feeling unwell or develops symptoms like cough or shortness of breath, to wear a mask and see a doctor immediately.
  7. Employers may wish to consider having everyone in the household, including the FDW, take their temperature at least twice a day, and check for any respiratory symptoms. If the FDW is unwell, please allow adequate rest after seeing the doctor. If possible, employers should consider arrangements to minimise contact between your unwell FDW and those under her care.

    Caring for the vulnerable

  8. For FDWs required to care for young children, elderly or those with illnesses or special needs, we encourage employers and FDWs to discuss additional precautions to be adopted. These include:
    • Monitoring the health of those under her care closely and to highlight immediately any symptoms; and
    • Conducting regular temperature screening for those under FDW’s care.

    FDW rest day arrangements

  9. In view of the introduction of social distancing measures, we strongly encourage FDWs to spend their rest day at home during this period.
  10. We recommend that employers discuss with their FDWs to reach a mutual agreement on rest day arrangements
    1. If FDWs agree to spend their rest day at home, employers should not assign work to their FDW on the rest day.
    2. If FDWs agree to forgo their rest days, employers must provide compensation in lieu of the rest day.
    3. If FDWs have errands that they need to attend to on their rest day, they should be encouraged to take their rest day on a weekday, when public spaces are less crowded.
    4. Employers should also encourage their FDWs to not gather in public areas should they be out.

    Home leave

  11. For FDWs who have plans to travel back home, we advise that employers and FDWs discuss and come to a mutual agreement for the FDWs to postpone home leave until the situation stabilises. Employers should inform FDWs that they would be subjected to the new SHN requirement upon return to Singapore if they travel back home.
  12. We encourage employers and FDWs to maintain open communication with each other especially during this period. Visit MOH’s website at www.moh.gov.sg regularly to keep yourself updated on latest developments.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/covid-19/advisory-to-fdws-and-employers

What is the eligibility criteria to claim for SHN support?

SHN support for FDW employers

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is providing support to help FDW employers who are affected by the SHN requirements for FDWs due to COVID-19.


Eligible employers whose FDWs served the SHN at an alternative accommodation (dormitories, hostels or hotels) can apply for $60 support per day per affected FDW and have their levy waived during the FDW’s SHN period of 14 days.

FDW employers who wish to apply for the SHN support must fulfil all of the following criteria:

  • FDW employer must be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident;
  • For new FDWs, her work pass application must be submitted to MOM on or before 15 March 2020;
  • For existing FDWs (i.e. those with a valid work pass) returning from overseas, the FDW must have left Singapore on or before 15 March 2020;
  • The employer or employment agent must have obtained MOM’s prior approval before the FDW enters Singapore;
  • Affected FDW must have served her SHN at a dormitory, hostel or hotel;
  • Affected FDW must have completed her SHN and complied fully with the SHN requirements; and
  • Affected FDW must be in the employment of the same employer for the full period of the SHN.

How to apply

What do you need
  • Proof of stay at alternative accommodation (dormitory, hostel or hotel)
    Copy of bill / receipt (not invoice) issued by EAs or alternate accommodation showing the following:
    • Full name of FDW
    • Address of alternative accommodation
    • Period of FDW’s stay at alternative accommodation
    • Payment has been made by employer
  • Proof of FDW’s employment
    Copy of FDW’s in-principle approval (IPA) letter or Work Permit card
  • FDW’s travel details
    New FDWs:
    • Copy of FDW’s arrival (to Singapore) air / ferry ticket with FDW’s details (e.g. name)
    • Copy of passport photo ID page
    • Copy of passport page with Singapore entry stamp
      Don’t submit copy of disembarkation / embarkation card (“white card”).

    Returning FDWs:

    • Copy of both departure and arrival (from/to Singapore) air / ferry ticket with FDW’s details (e.g. name)
    • Copy of passport photo ID page
    • Copy of departure and entry stamp page in passport
  • Bank statement (for payment of the SHN support)
    Copy of FDW employer’s bank statement with bank account details

Please apply for SHN support.

  • Only after your FDW has completed serving her 14-day SHN.
  • Within 90 days from the last day of SHN.

Employers will receive the application outcome via the email address provided during application. The processing time is around 4-6 weeks.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/covid-19/shn-support-for-fdw-employers

Is there an employer's guide for foreign domestic worker?

What is the Employers' Orientation Programme?

Employers' Orientation Programme (EOP)

With effect from 7 April 2020 to 4 May 2020, classroom EOP will be suspended. You are encouraged to register for online EOP during this period.

At a glance

Who must attend First-time employer or an employer who has changed FDWs frequently.
When to attend At least 2 working days before submitting a Work Permit application.
How much it costs

Classroom EOP: $35 to $60

Online EOP: $35

What is the Employers' Orientation Programme

The Employers’ Orientation Programme is a 3-hour programme that will help you understand your role and responsibilities as an employer of a foreign domestic worker (FDW).

First-time employers must complete the EOP at least 2 working days before submitting a Work Permit application.

Who needs to attend

You need to attend the EOP if:

You are You need to
A first-time employer of an FDW.

Attend classroom or online EOP.

You can be exempted if you meet certain criteria.

An employer who have changed more than 3 FDWs within a 12-month period, and want to apply for another FDW.

Attend classroom EOP.
Attend an interview with MOM, before we process your application.

You cannot appoint a representative to attend on your behalf.

Register for EOP

You can take the EOP either in the classroom or online. However, we encourage you to attend the classroom EOP. The case studies and personal experiences shared in class will give you a better understanding of how to work with your foreign domestic worker to meet expectations.

Ensure that the name, NRIC or FIN, and all other information in the EOP registration and Work Permit application forms are the same so that we can match the records.

Register for classroom EOP

You can register for classroom EOP at the following ATPs.

Grace Management & Consultancy Services Pte Ltd

Venue 198 Geylang Road
Singapore 389263
6299 4333

English or Mandarin (alternate weeks)

Malay or Tamil (based on demand)

Course fee
  • $35 – English
  • $60 – Malay or Tamil
  • $40 – Mandarin
Duration 3 hours

Every Friday, 6pm to 9pm.

Please check with Grace Management & Consultancy Services as the class schedule may change.

How to register Register online

Nation Employment Pte Ltd


135 Jurong Gateway Road
Singapore 600135
6388 8888
6665 8199

Language English or Mandarin (alternate weekly)
Course fee $35
Duration 3 hours

Every Wednesday, 6pm to 9pm

Please check with Nation Employment Pte Ltd as the class schedule may change.

How to register Walk in.

Register for online EOP

Grace Management & Consultancy Services Pte Ltd

Language English, Malay, Mandarin or Tamil
Course fee $35
Duration 2 hours

6299 4333

How to register Register online

We Are Caring Pte Ltd

Language English, Malay, Mandarin or Tamil
Course fee $35
Duration 2 hours

3163 4636

How to register Register online

Appoint a representative or sponsor to attend the EOP

If you are a first-time employer, you are required to attend the EOP as a pre-requisite for employing FDWs. However, you may be allowed to appoint a representative or sponsor to attend the programme on your behalf if you meet the following conditions:

If you And one of the following applies to you

Meet one of these conditions:

  • Suffer from a chronic medical condition.
  • Have a physical disability and are unable to walk.
  • Are 60 years old and above and suffer physical discomfort.
  • Have a sponsor or representative (above 21 years old) who has attended EOP on your behalf.
  • Have a sponsor or sponsor’s spouse who has employed an FDW.
Are a new or expectant mother
  • Your date of delivery is within 1 month from the date you applied for your spouse to represent you to attend the EOP.
  • You delivered a child within 1 month or less from the date you applied for your spouse to represent you to attend the EOP.

Once your representative or sponsor has attended the EOP, you or a third-party (e.g. employment agency) are required to apply online to appoint your representative or sponsor. You will be notified of the outcome immediately.

You will need to provide the following information when applying:

  • SingPass
  • Employer’s personal particulars
  • Personal particulars of the sponsor, spouse or representative
    Important: Use the same name and identification number as the one used to register for the EOP.
  • Employment agency’s contact details (if applicable)
If you have been advised by MOM to attend the EOP because you have changed FDWs frequently, you must personally attend the classroom EOP.


  • Your spouse, sponsor, sponsor’s spouse or representative has to attend the EOP on your behalf at least 2 working days before you apply online to appoint your representative or sponsor.
  • You can proceed with your Work Permit application one working day after your application to appoint a representative or sponsor is successful.
For detailed instructions, see the flowchart on online application procedure.

Keep these documents

If your representative attended the EOP on your behalf, please retain all documents for at least 3 months for audit purposes.

If one of the following applies to you Keep these documents
  • You have a chronic medical illness.
  • You are unable to walk.
  • You are 60 years old and above and suffer from physical discomfort.
  • Your NRIC or FIN.
  • Sponsor’s, sponsor’s spouse’s, or representative’s NRIC or FIN.
  • Medical documents.
  • Sponsor’s or representative’s certificate of attendance of EOP (if applicable).
  • Your date of delivery is within 1 month from the date you applied for your spouse to represent you to attend the EOP.
  • You delivered a child within 1 month or less from the date you applied for your spouse to represent you to attend the EOP.
  • Your NRIC or FIN.
  • Your spouse’s NRIC or FIN.
  • Birth certificate of your child or doctor’s certification of expected date of delivery.
  • Your spouse’s certificate of attendance of EOP.

What is a Settling-In Programme (SIP)?

What is the Settling-In Programme

The Settling-In Programme (SIP) is a 1-day orientation programme for first-time FDWs to educate them on safety precautions and living in Singapore.

Note: In view of the COVID-19 situation, the SIP for FDWs will be temporarily suspended from 7 April 2020 to 4 May 2020. You can register your FDW for SIP after the suspension has been lifted and she has completed her SHN if applicable.

The topics covered include:

  • Adapting to working and living in Singapore
  • Conditions of employment
  • Working safely
  • Relationship and stress management

At a glance

Who must attend First-time FDWs.
When to attend Within 3 days of FDW’s arrival, excluding Sunday and public holidays.
What is the duration 1 day.
When to start work Only after FDW has attended the SIP.
How much it costs $75 (including GST), borne by the FDW’s employer.
Language Conducted in the FDW’s native language.

Register for SIP

To ensure that your FDW secures a training slot within the first 3 days of her arrival in Singapore, you are advised to register her for the SIP before she arrives in Singapore.

You can register with these accredited training providers:

Accredited training provider Contact
Absolute Kinetics Consultancy

Register online
6690 5555

31, 33, 35 Hillview Terrace
Singapore 669249

Grace Management & Consultancy Services

Register online
6299 4333

198 Geylang Road, #03-01
Singapore 389263

NTUC LearningHub

Register online
9189 0511

260 Sims Avenue, ECM Building
#03-01 and #04-01
Singapore 387604

Documents required

You will need to submit the following documents when your FDW goes to the SIP training centre:

  • IPA letter (full set)
  • FDW’s passport
  • A copy of FDW’s educational certificate

To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/eligibility-and-requirements/settling-in-programme-sip

What is the FDW's employment agency responsible for?

If you engage an employment agency (EA) to help you with hiring a foreign domestic worker (FDW), the EA is responsible for:

  • The FDW’s upkeep and maintenance, including accommodation, from her arrival until she is successfully placed for employment, or until she is sent home if unsuccessfully placed.
  • Sending the FDW home, and bearing the cost of doing so, if she is unsuccessfully placed.
  • Ensuring that you and the FDW sign the safety agreement.

The EA should only place the FDW for employment after she has attended the Settling-In Programme (SIP).


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/what-is-the-fdws-employment-agency-responsible-for

I’ve applied for a replacement helper. Can I employ both my current and new helpers at the same time for a short handover period?

Once your new helper’s Work Permit is approved, you can ask for a handover period. We will inform you of the outcome instantly.


Are FDWs covered under the Work Injury Compensation Act?

No. Foreign domestic workers (FDWs) are not covered under Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA) because they live and work close to their employers in the same premises, making it difficult to determine whether any injury sustained in the premises was due to work-related activities. However, employers are required to buy personal accident insurance (PAI) for FDWs to provide them compensation in the event of death or permanent disability during their stay in Singapore.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/are-fdws-covered-under-the-work-injury-compensation-act 

Can a family living in a 2-room HDB flat employ an FDW?

As an employer, you will be responsible for the health and well-being of your foreign domestic worker. This includes ensuring that she has adequate privacy and sleeping space in the home where she is staying.

If you live in a 2-room HDB flat, you may have a space constraint with only 1 bedroom. We will consider your eligibility and need to employ an FDW.

Aside from employing an FDW, you could consider engaging a domestic cleaning service for household chores, and tapping on your extended family, or childcare and eldercare facilities for help with care-giving needs.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/can-a-family-living-in-a-2-room-hdb-flat-employ-an-fdw

Can any single person employ an FDW?

If you are a single person, we will assess your eligibility and need to employ a foreign domestic worker (FDW).

To apply, you:

  • Must be 21 years old and above.
  • Cannot be an undischarged bankrupt when making the application.
  • Must be earning a steady source of income, because employing a FDW comes with various costs, including the FDW’s salary, levy, medical insurance and food.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/can-any-single-person-employ-an-fdw

Can I apply for an FDW and let her work for my relative?

According to the Work Permit Conditions, a foreign domestic worker (FDW) is allowed to work only for the employer at the residential address stated on the Work Permit. This is to prevent FDWs from being exploited into working for multiple households and employers.

Your relative will have to be the official employer if they require an FDW.

If your relative is unable to meet the existing criteria for employing an FDW, they can consider applying under a special scheme such as the Joint Income Scheme or Sponsorship Scheme.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/can-i-apply-for-an-fdw-and-let-her-work-for-my-relative

Can my FDW look after my child or aged parent at my relative's house?

Based on the Work Permit conditions, your foreign domestic worker (FDW) is only allowed to perform domestic chores at the address stated on her Work Permit card.

However, we understand that you may prefer to have your FDW take care of your child or aged parent under the supervision of your relatives while you are at work.

We allow this arrangement only with the FDW’s agreement. You must ensure that your FDW does not perform the full load of housework in both households. You must also notify MOM


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/can-my-fdw-look-after-my-children-at-my-relatives-house

Do I have to pay for my FDW's passport renewal?

You and your foreign domestic worker (FDW) should mutually agree on who should pay for her passport renewal. This should be decided preferably at the start of her employment and stated in the employment contract.

Passport renewal fees can be relatively costly for an FDW. While you are not required to pay for your FDW’s passport renewal, you could consider helping with the cost out of goodwill.


Who pays for sending an FDW home if the contract is terminated early, either by the employer or the FDW?

All employers who wish to bring in foreign domestic workers (FDWs) are required to bear the full cost of employing them. This includes the cost of sending them home when the employment relationship ends.


To find out more, please visit: https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/who-pays-for-sending-an-fdw-home-if-the-contract-is-terminated-early-either-by-the-employer-of-the-fdw